Are you looking for Depression Treatment and you live in the Baltimore area? Psychology Consultants Associated (PCA) has been treating patients with depression since 1972.
All of us become depressed. Depression becomes a diagnostic entity when symptoms have lasted for at least two weeks in adults or one week in children or adolescents. For a clinician to make a diagnosis of Depression, at least five of the following nine symptoms have to be present:
- Depressed mood during most of the day, particularly in the morning
- Fatigue or loss of energy almost every day
- Feelings or worthlessness or guilt almost every day
- Impaired concentration and indecisiveness
- Insomnia or hyperinsomnia (excessive sleeping) almost every day
- Marked lack of interest and pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day
- Recurring thoughts of death or suicide
- A sense of restlessness or feeling that actions are slowed down
- Significant weight gain or loss (a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month)
Although depression is a highly treatable condition, some forms of depression may not be preventable. This is because depression may be triggered by a chemical malfunction in the brain. The combination of medication and psychotherapy has proved to be the best treatment option. In many other situations, psychotherapy alone is the treatment of choice in depression.
At PCA, all of our clinicians are experienced in treating of depressive disorders. Depressive disorders, often called mood disorders, may take the form of a major depressive episode, a more prolonged and long term depressive mood or a Bipolar Disorder, which usually includes significant mood swings.
We understand that the most characteristic symptom of depression, feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, must be addressed early in the therapy. Depression is highly treatable and it is extremely gratifying for us to see a patient start to see that “light at the end of the tunnel”. Call us today for Depression Treatment Services in Baltimore, MD at 410-828-6062.